#11 - Ashlins LTD
Originally two stories tall, this building housed businesses, including The Grapevine Sun newspaper, a feed store and the Grapevine Telephone Exchange. On the night of September 5, 1938, a fire in Cate Feed Store ignited the building and forced the telephone operator to jump from the second floor of the building onto the wood awning below. Firefighters from both Dallas and Fort Worth assisted the Grapevine Volunteer Fire Department in preserving the downtown business district by responding to the call for help. Damage was so extensive that the tenants permanently vacated the building. Once rebuilt, the building was used for City of Grapevine office, including the library and fire department.