#48 - Chic Boutique
Original stained glass still remains in this 1900 building. The second story, 410 S. Main St., was added as a funeral parlor in 1911. One hot summer in the 1910s, Bob Lucas, son and family accountant, moved his desk from inside the building to the front sidewalk “for a cool spot” rather than sitting in the store where the ceiling fans only “stirred the hot air.” Only two Main Street buildings, the Palace Theatre and First National Bank, had air conditioning in the 1940s. Cooled air was not consistent in Main Street businesses until the 1970s when buildings were updated.