#3 - A.J.'s on Main
- 651 S. Main St. | Grapevine, TX 76051
In 1891, Johnny Wallis built a brick hotel here for his sister, Susan Wallis Terrill, to operate. Constructed near the railroad depot, it offered comfortable lodging for visitors and salesmen who at that time were called “drummers” (see entry 20). In the late 1940s and into the 1950s, this was the site of the town’s Trinity 2 water well. Adjacent to the artesian well was a ground storage tank, as well as a small red brick building, from which the water was pumped into the Grapevine water works system. With the opening of Lake Grapevine in 1952, a new source of water was provided. On adjacent property to the north was a frame building used for the Soil Conservation Service (SCS) office. The SCS was an educational organization to help farmers prevent soil erosion. Farther north was a structure of similar design used as a residence. The buildings were moved, but are still in use in Grapevine.