#30c - Walking Tour: 302 S. Main St., Palace Arts Center
- 302 S. Main St. | Grapevine, TX 76051
Comprised of the Lancaster Theatre and the Palace Theatre, this complex was the site of the Buckner Cash Grocery and Buckner Dry Goods store in the 1930s. The two Buckner stores were converted into the Lancaster Theatre which opened in 2001. It is a black box theater used for plays, musicals, meetings and dinner rentals. Kirby Buckner built the Palace Theatre on the north side of his building in 1940 at a cost of $25,000. The Grapevine Opry acquired the old movie theatre in 1974 and used it for their country western shows. The site was threatened with closure in 1991, but the Grapevine Heritage Foundation stepped in and saved the building. The Palace Theatre hosts monthly movies and concerts. The Grapevine Opry is still a popular, regular show at the Palace Theatre.