#56 - Willhoite’s Restaurant
- 432 S. Main St. | Grapevine, TX 76051
Built in 1913 as a two-story mercantile business, this building also housed a theater in its early days. The theater, managed by J.W. Taylor, showed silent movies. In 1921, A.W. Willhoite and Bart Starr, Jr. opened Grapevine’s first one-stop auto service station here, and in 1936, A.W.’s son, Ted Willhoite, installed the first electric gas pumps and hydraulic auto-lift. A small office was provided in the building for the Grapevine Nightwatchman, the only law enforcement official in town until 1956. Ted ran the service station until 1975. Many years later, Phil Parker purchased the building and kept the Willhoite name because of its local familiarity and excellent reputation.