#7 - Walking Tour: 423 S. Main St., Tolbert's Restaurant
- 423 S. Main St. | Grapevine, TX 76244
Tolbert’s Restaurant occupies the southern-most portion of this three-part building. Like the 1911 Robinson’s Mercantile that occupied all three portions, Guest Furniture & Antiques filled all three buildings from the 1970s to 1990s. In the 1930s, Grapevine’s first washateria, the “Help-U-Self,” opened on Main Street, then a skating rink opened here in the late 1940s. The Woodmen of the World hall once occupied the second story and was the largest meeting hall in town. It was used for recitals, band concerts, graduations and community activities. The second floor was removed in 1944 after a fire, and the lumber was recycled to build a home at 528 S. Dooley St.