McPherson Farmhouse Bid
Interested parties may view the property and obtain the full bid packet
upon request by contacting David Klempin, Historic Preservation Officer,
BIDS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 2:00 pm MARCH 9, 2018
**An open house will take place on February 18, 2018 and March 4, 2018 from 2-4 p.m.**
Don't miss a rare opportunity to purchase one of Grapevine's Historic Treasures in the Historic Grapevine Township and adapt it to serve as your personal residence.
The location of this original 1886 farmhouse is 420 East College Street at the corner of South Dooley Street in the College Street Historic District. The Farmhouse was placed on a new permanent engineered foundation. Two new masonry fireplaces with chimneys were constructed to replicate the house’s original appearance.
The McPherson Farmhouse is in near original condition having been occupied by family members from 1886 to mid-2017. The exterior of the house was stabilized following Design Guidelines for the landmarked College Street Historic District. On the exterior, damaged wood siding was replaced and the Farmhouse exterior has been sanded, scraped and prime painted. Original wood windows were re-glazed and primed. The front and the rear enclosed porches were restored and prime painted. Metal underpinning was installed on the house perimeter and prime painted. Inside, the Farmhouse retains its original white painted boarded walls and ceilings and its original doors. Original longleaf pine floors are intact throughout the interior of the house.
Homebuyer interior alterations and modifications are allowed and are not subject to the requirements of the College Street Historic District Design Guidelines.
Interested parties may view the property and obtain the full bid packet upon request by contacting David Klempin, Historic Preservation Officer, at 817 410-3197.
McPherson Farmhouse History
The McPherson Farmhouse, constructed in 1886, is the sixth oldest house remaining in Grapevine. Older remaining houses are the Torian Cabin, 1845; the Payne-Fuller House, 1865; the Nash Farmhouse, 1869; the Bushong Log Cabin, 1871; and the Dorris-Brock Farmhouse, 1885.
Thomas Jefferson and his wife, Mary Starling McPherson, arrived in Grapevine from Alabama in 1893 and rented the Millard farm for five years. In December 1898 they purchased 360 acres and a two-story frame farmhouse from P. D. Hudgins; there Thomas and Mary lived the remaining years of their lives. The large L-Plan farmhouse with one and two-story wings was built on August 21, 1886, according to the inscription on a large rectangular sand rock used as a front step. The step remains and will also be moved to its new location at 608 South Dooley Street.
The McPherson family descendants have continuously occupied the house until earlier in 2017 when the remaining 4.2 acres of the farm were sold.
Thomas McPherson’s son, John, was also a farmer and worked the family land all his life. At the McPherson farm they grew tomatoes, watermelons, corn and cantaloupes. John McPherson also raised prized American Fox Hounds and conducted fox hunts in and around the Grapevine area. He was also an excellent musician on the fiddle, bass fiddle and banjo and was a member of the Grapevine Rabbit Twisters band which performed at WFAA Radio – the station was located north of today’s DFW north entry gates.
This farmhouse represents numerous eras of Grapevine history – the reconstruction period after the Civil War when many families moved to Texas to begin a new life here; the 1930s and 40s era when radio became the top form of entertainment and local radio stations filled the airways with music and local news; the truck farming era when Grapevine became known nation-wide for the production of its fine cantaloupes; the DFW airport-development years when Grapevine transitioned from an agricultural-based economy to a business economy and large farmsteads transitioned to residential neighborhood development; and the era of historic preservation when structures important to Grapevine’s past are preserved and repurposed for the future.